Recycling Hotel Soap & Toiletries could have a far reaching effect:
- Every day, millions of bars of soap are discarded by hotels worldwide.
- Every year, 1.7 million children die from disease and infection.
- Half a million of these children could still be alive if they had soap to wash their hands.
- The plastic from empty or half-full bottles and tubes of hotel toiletries is proving challenging to properly recycle, despite being manufactured from expensive recyclable PET or HDPE.
- The UK waste industry’s infrastructure is simply unable to capture this waste stream.
- The plastic containers all end up in landfill or are being incinerated.
- The high quality toiletry products inside are lost, despite being manufactured from valuable resources, and when properly recovered is perfectly safe for human use.